In Corlurgan NS, we are committed to the holistic development of all our pupils in order to assist them to contribute and play a fulfilling role in their own community. We recognise that children have different areas of strength and we aim to foster these strengths through a supportive and positive school learning environment.
Corlurgan NS is a coeducational primary school funded by the department of education and Science and under the trusteeship of the Catholic Bishop of Kilmore. The school has an eight member board of management, representing the trustee, the teaching staff, the parents and the wider community.
The school is situated on the outskirts of Cavan town and is part of the parish of Urney and Annageliffe. Currently, the school has four mainstream teachers, a Learning Support teacher and a part time resource teacher for children with special educational needs. The enrolment on September the 30th 2011 was 94 pupils.
Corlurgan NS originally dates back to the 1850’s. It was a two-storey building accommodating both boys and girls. It was a mixed school. The building was situated on the rocky site at the corner of the Kilnaleck and the Ballinagh Rd. It was built by a local landlord, under the control of the Education Board and was a non-denominational school.
The school served the local community of Moynehall and its environs which in bygone days had the status of a small village and even had its own football team.
Sadly, a fire in 1958 destroyed the old school and unfortunately all of the roll books and records were lost. In 1960 the school was re-opened under the principal Mrs. Lily O’Reilly. At the time it was a two-teacher school with two classrooms and the boys and girls were segregated. Mrs. Helen Maguire who was the deputy at the time, later became principal in 1979.
With the increase in numbers in the 1980’s two prefabs accommodated the rise in numbers of children attending the school. The Department of Education approved an extension to the school, which was opened in the year 2000, and it comprises of two new classrooms and a large GP Room and two Resource Rooms.
The word Corr Lorgan means ‘Hill of Sand’